Wanted to provide a little overview of the outdoor experiments that are taking place.
The raised bed below is a hugel culture experiment. I laid some rotting wood, then layered in some hay, some leaves, some compost, some soil, then topped with hay.
In this raised bed I have planted 3 types of tomatoes, 3 types of radish, and some romaine lettuce.
￼￼The second bed is an in ground bed that I had to get ready in a rush. I loosened the soil with a pitch fork, but did not turn it. I then threw on a tarp for 2 weeks to kill the weeds with light deprivation. I then added some compost and some potting soil. Layered on some hay and started planting.
In this bed we have radishes, and some lettuces.
Above, are the potato experiments. 3 containers with a bunch of potato seed spuds. We just added a new layer of soil, but seems like we’ll have to add more shortly. Interested to see how high we can go.
Lastly, we have the chickens. We tried to build the coop on the cheap, leveraging a second hand bed, some shutters, and a couple of palettes. In total it cost us about 60 euros for the wire, and some of the longer wood, bolts, and hinges etc..
Overall fairly happy with the set up.