Over the weekends I’m often out all day and so needed to find a way to feed the fish overtime. I’ve invested in an automated feeder for when we’re away on vacation over the summer – but this has not yet arrived.
So, for this last weekend, I had to find a solution. I have been feeding fish microgreens and remember that it often sits there for a while and gets eaten slowly over time. The only problem was that I’d have to go digging for the stalks that were left over afterwards.
And so I came up with the below solution and put two bunches into the tank for a long Saturday away. This solution was a great success, and when I came back it was easy to remove the leftover stalks.
Upon checking the roots this morning, I found that they have a slight discoloring. Upon closer inspection, it became clear that they had a deposit of some kind of material sticking to them.
In hypothesing what it might be, I came up with two possible causes.
The first, is that it could be a deposit of clay from the media bed. There are deposits of clay in the floating rafts where the water shows down – you can make it out in the photo above on the tank floor.
The other, is that it could be the quality of the fish food which is not being digested properly – I read stories about that.
In thinking about it a little more I believe it is the latter. In the micro aquarium when I switched to the large bucket of cheaper food, the gold fishes poo’s were coagulated and they floated. I read about this being a problem with not being able to digest the food well, consequently jamming up the rest of the system.
It’s not a critical problem for the system yet, I don’t believe – the roots aren’t as bad as they look in the photo. I am changing the fish back to their original food and will continue the search for something better.
I’ve never used grow lights before. So, when I saw these sprouts straining for the light from the door, I figured it would be a good time to test.
Makes for some cool photos. Will be interesting to see if it straightens the sprouts and helps them grow.
Decided to test a simple Microgreens sprouting system to raise some sprouts to feed to the fish.
If it works I’ll investigate scaling.
These are a mache lettuce, sowed 28/03, on an organic felt mat, with aquarium water pumped through at a very low rate.