As I mentioned in another post, my spring so wings of radishes was a bit of a failure, as I simply did not plant enough radishes.
So this time, I’m hoping I planted enough. But I’ll keep planting more as I see the success rate.
Either Way, below is the last harvest of stragglers and a photo of the new radish bed.
Over spring I have failed at reaching my target of 20 radishes a week for several reasons. First thing I learnt is that i’m not planting enough radishes, and taking in to account losses and slow growing runts. So instead of planting 20 every week and hoping to harvest 20 every week, I need to plant many more. I’m going to change my apporoach over summer.
Having said that, these rose radishes are lovely large successes. They take longer but are much more worthwhile. I’m going to focus on this type of crop going forward.
I harvested my first full salad from the aquaponics. To be fair I could have harvested it weeks ago. And in fact by not harvesting and leaving it bunched up it has been forced to grow up rather than out.
Nonetheless it’s a nice looking salad. I love the length of the roots.
It’s got to the stage where I needed to string up the tomatoes more comprehensively before the fruits start growing.
This was a pain in the arse. I didn’t think the tomatoes would work this well and so hadn’t planned ahead what to do. So at this late stage of the game it was hard to reach the back.
I believe I have 2 indeterminate (vine like) tomatoes on the right (and the broken ones, replanted on the back). And then 1 determinate one (bush like) on the left.
I don’t know for sure and so am not going to do any pruning (suckering). Next time I need to keep that in mind up front.
We got our first tomatoe growing. The tomatoes are going nuts. And it looks like we’ll have a few so need to do some research on how to tie them up to avoid more damage like last time.
We’ve recently had challenges with slugs on our salads. At first I was getting up early, plucking them from our make salads and feeding them to the chickens.
But now they are eating all the young salads we’re replanting and killing them before they can take. Literally 100% of the recently planted salads are gone. So before I plant a fresh batch of juvenile salads I want to try to protect them.
Hence this slug trap experiment. Honey water in a tray. The plan is that this will attract them, and every morning I should be able to harvest them.
Will see. If it works, will experiment with something more substantial.
I had planted several Dai Choi (big vegetable in Cantonese) early on when I set up the garden. The weather has recently gone hot and they were about to bolt / were in the process of bolting. So I harvested a few.
The below is the harvest from 2 plants. Pretty productive and a hardy plant. Will do more of these in the future.
Incidentally, didn’t get any of these to grow in the aquaponics.