It’s the summer solstice tomorrow so I thought I’d do a general update.
Things are growing well. The salads have been the most successful with plenty more than we can consume. The tomatoes are looking to be pretty decent too.
Both chickens are still alive and laying on average about 1.5 eggs a day. All 25 fish are going strong and have grown significantly.
I’m building a new floating raft bed that should be about 3x the size of my existing one so that I can dial up my aquaponics salads and basil. Once I get that going I’m going to test différent types of salads for a bit of variety.
I’ve been servicing my compost in preparation for a fall planting of winter crops.
But it’s not all good news. It seems my potatoes got sick and I lost 2 out of the three plantings.
New salads going in this evening.
Wanted to provide a little overview of the outdoor experiments that are taking place.
The raised bed below is a hugel culture experiment. I laid some rotting wood, then layered in some hay, some leaves, some compost, some soil, then topped with hay.
In this raised bed I have planted 3 types of tomatoes, 3 types of radish, and some romaine lettuce.
￼￼The second bed is an in ground bed that I had to get ready in a rush. I loosened the soil with a pitch fork, but did not turn it. I then threw on a tarp for 2 weeks to kill the weeds with light deprivation. I then added some compost and some potting soil. Layered on some hay and started planting.
In this bed we have radishes, and some lettuces.
Above, are the potato experiments. 3 containers with a bunch of potato seed spuds. We just added a new layer of soil, but seems like we’ll have to add more shortly. Interested to see how high we can go.
Lastly, we have the chickens. We tried to build the coop on the cheap, leveraging a second hand bed, some shutters, and a couple of palettes. In total it cost us about 60 euros for the wire, and some of the longer wood, bolts, and hinges etc..
Overall fairly happy with the set up.