Decided to test a simple Microgreens sprouting system to raise some sprouts to feed to the fish.
If it works I’ll investigate scaling.
These are a mache lettuce, sowed 28/03, on an organic felt mat, with aquarium water pumped through at a very low rate.
I had read that tilapia were very versatile eaters. As I was cleaning out the junior aquarium I decided to add some of the aquarium weed (egeria densa) to the tank just to see if it’d grow.
Several days later.. I realized that the fish had been snacking on it. This made me feel better because, I was getting concerned that they weren’t eating.
Fast forward another week and it doesn’t seem like the plant has been eaten much more. I believe this is because the fish are now more comfortable with their environment, and worth me, and are now eating the pellets I feed them more voraciously.
25 Nile tilapia fingerlings arrived from the Uk after a rough 24 hour journey.
They were all alive, albeit fairly shaken up and stressed. The water temperature in the bag that they had arrived in had fallen to 22 degrees C – they were used to 25 to 28 degrees C.
Unfortunately my tank was at 17 degrees C, I therfore rushed out and picked up a bar water heater (35 euros) and added hot water from my taps directly to the tank.
Once the temperature was 24 degrees C, I felt comfortable adding the fish to their new environment.
Upon finding themselves in their new environment, they all ran off and hid behind the water pump.
I didn’t feel confortable with them hanging out there – seeing as they may have been stressed and tired I didn’t want any of them getting sacked up – so I added the stones below to create a safe place for them to congregate.