A quick update on the aquaponic tomatoes. The system is running well. The salads are running low as I’m in the middle of building some new beds and am behind on sowing new salads. Fortunately the garden salads are more than compensating.
The tomatoes though have gone nuts. I’m really not growing them for high productivity, or I would have trimmed them. Instead I’m leaving them to grow as bushy as they want.
There are a good 20 tomatoes fruiting already and plenty more buds – although the bud to tomatoe rate seems much lower than outside.
I’m enjoying just letting it go to see how big it gets. Obviously, many lessons learned – chief of which is not to have them up so high.
I was just out, closing up for the evening and feeding the fish when it struck me that the tomatoes bushes are really huge.
There seems to be a large number of potential tomatoes too.
It’s got to the stage where I needed to string up the tomatoes more comprehensively before the fruits start growing.
This was a pain in the arse. I didn’t think the tomatoes would work this well and so hadn’t planned ahead what to do. So at this late stage of the game it was hard to reach the back.
I believe I have 2 indeterminate (vine like) tomatoes on the right (and the broken ones, replanted on the back). And then 1 determinate one (bush like) on the left.
I don’t know for sure and so am not going to do any pruning (suckering). Next time I need to keep that in mind up front.
We got our first tomatoe growing. The tomatoes are going nuts. And it looks like we’ll have a few so need to do some research on how to tie them up to avoid more damage like last time.
Last week my two largest tomatoe plants snapped under the weight of the recent growth. Not knowing what to do we cut them and then replanted them in the bed.
After several droopy days I’m happy to report that they seem to have taken.
The two photos above show the new growth since the plants were cut.
The photo below, although hard to make out shows the plants in the back which have retaken. Last week they were very droopy and it’s now clear they are getting some juice.
Lastly, we cut some of the side branches that were damaged and put them in jars of water. The photo below shows the roots that have grown. Need to figure out what to do with these.
Last night was a little cooler a d our monster tomatoe plants snapped just above the point where they are tied up.
It was so very disappointing because they were the biggest success that I had had, and also they were flowering profusely.
I’m going to see if there’s any chances of rescuing them.
The tomatoes (and in fact all the veggies) have gone absolutely nuts. The photos below show the difference of 10 days growth…it’s really pretty incredible. The weather has started to heat up and I believe the fish have hit a maturity stage where the system is in balance.
I’m having to tie up the tomatoes because there is absolutely no way they could stand by themselves.