After over 6 weeks of growing Microgreens, sowing 4 trays of four different Microgreens a week I’ve made some learnings.
- I’m planting much more than we can consume. The idea was to provide me with insurance trays in case something went wrong – which it did, but it’s still too much. So I’m going to drop plantings to every 2 weeks.
- Also, aligned with the statement above I learned that when I harvested the sunflower and the chickpea, they actually grow back, so you can harvest and Re-harvest the same tray several times.
- Fenugrec is hard to harvest and for that reason I’m dropping it from the rotation. Sunflower and chickpeas are great to harvest for my fat fingers.
- Sprouting works best with spraying water mornings and evenings and then keeping the trays covered for first 3 to 4 days. But you must remove covers before mold sets in – mold can be dealt with by removing the covers.
- I really like the trays I was using becuase they had drain holes under them, so I could put them on a metal wire shelf, water on top and it would drain down through all the trays.
- When I had too much I would empty a tray in the chicken coup and the girls would go to town on it.